Job Title: Outdoor Education and Adventure Director
Employee Classification: Year-Round, Benefited Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Program Director Revision Date: 10/2020
Leadership Level: Team Leader
Position Start Date: December 7th, 2020
This position supports the work of the YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park Center, which operates a mission-based family and group conference and retreat center, serving more than 150, 000 guests annually. The Outdoor Education and Adventure Director manages the booking and facilitating of Outdoor Education groups, and hires, trains, and supervises staff in both Outdoor Education and Adventure Activities.
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
* Responsible for the quality of the Outdoor Education (OE) Program with a goal of re-booking school groups and booking new groups.
* Hire, train, supervise, schedule, provide professional development opportunities for and evaluate seasonal staff and volunteers in the responsibilities of providing Outdoor Education and Adventure programs. Provide leadership to a staff of 1 - 40 people.
* A high degree of human relation skills in working with staff, volunteers, parents, youth, co-workers, students, teachers, administrators and guests required.
* Must connect Outdoor Education curriculum to Colorado State Educational Standards and revise as needed.
* Provide care of equipment including ropes, bikes, rental equipment, and other supplies.
* Develop and maintain the OE and Adventure Program budget year-to-year and responsible for year-end results.
* Develop an effective training schedule for Outdoor Education and Adventure Programs. Maintain staff schedules.
* Maintain safety procedures in Outdoor Education and Adventure programs.
* Develop and advance Outdoor Education programming to keep up with current trends in the field.
* Maintain needed paperwork and software systems required to facilitate the OE and Adventure programs.
* Must be extremely organized with impeccable accuracy and attention to detail and ability to complete tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
* Ability to work independently, take initiative, be self-directed and make good decisions.
* Ability to communicate visually and orally while fluent in speaking, writing and reading English.
* Manage and prioritize multiple tasks and challenges simultaneously, in a busy office environment with frequent interruptions, distractions and deadlines.
* Bachelor’s degree in Outdoor Education, Recreation or related field.
* Minimum two years of general program and facilitation experience required.
* Must possess and maintain current CPR and WFA certifications.
* Involvement in local, state and/or national Outdoor Education networks.
* Possess documented ropes course, climbing wall, and biking experience.
* Experience with marketing to school groups preferred.
* Experience supervising all aspects of training, evaluating, disciplining and development of staff.
* Proficiency working with software systems such as ActiveNet. Advanced knowledge of computers for maintaining database, spreadsheets and providing general correspondence. Knowledge of Microsoft software (i.e. Word, Excel, and Publisher.)
* Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
* Promote a cooperative, positive and problem-solving atmosphere at all times.
* Ability to operate office equipment: computer, telephone, copier, scanner, label maker, etc.
* Ability to oversee and complete projects in a timely manner.
* Enthusiasm for constant Program Department development and offerings.
* Must be able to work a flexible schedule as the hours may vary and will include weekends, evenings and holidays.
* Possess a valid, USA state-issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
* Possess stamina to work in the work environment described herein.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMNTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs.
* Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
* Support the YMCA of the Rockies safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff.
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse community.
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
* All other duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Be able to bend, stoop, kneel, walk, hike on uneven terrain for 10 miles.
* Ability to climb stairs, frequently get up and down from desk, move throughout lodges and meeting facilities.
* The employee needs sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions and to supervise activities in a wide variety of indoor and outdoor locations.
* The employee must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 60 pounds up to 4 feet.
* The noise level in the work environment is usually high.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.