Outdoor Education Instructor - Seasonal, mid-August through mid-October - (Room & Board Included!)
DATES: The Fall Outdoor Education Program at Snow Mountain Ranch runs from 8/13 - 10/19. There are opportunities to arrive early or extend later and work in an alternative position/department. Please indicate your available dates on your application.
Facilitate adventure/outdoor-based programs including low/high elements challenge course, environmental education, climbing wall and day hike interpretations.
- High school graduate or GED equivalence.
- Minimum of one season of experience facilitating adventure and outdoor education programs.
- Experience working with multiple populations ranging from school age to adults in an outdoor setting.
- Knowledge of interpretive natural history of the Rocky Mountains.
- Read and speak English.
- Teach ecological concepts in an experiential setting.
- Experience leading hikes up to eight miles in length.
- Experience with low and high elements challenge courses including belay techniques.
- Current first aid and adult/child CPR.
- Become familiar with Snow Mountain Ranch adventure/outdoor education programs through in-service training and independent study.
- Development of adventure/outdoor based programs to be implemented for clientele.
- Implement emergency procedures as necessary.
- Facilitate challenge course operations, and lead interpretive hikes.
- Maintain YMCA standards of behavior while working with clientele.
- Supervise participants of program areas in which they are responsible.
- Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests and staff
- Prefer BS or BA degree in environmental education, adventure education, environmental science or related field.
- Prefer wilderness first responder.
- Provide general program/YMCA information for guests.
- Development of curriculum in adventure/outdoor education programs.
- Administrative duties.
- Work in other program areas as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
NOTE: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- meet acceptable criminal background check standards
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position paying $250/week with additional employee benefits including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, climbing wall, library, and craft shop
- Free Grand Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort – limited number available, first come first served basis)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
In addition to the grooming standards outlined in the Seasonal Staff Handbook, the following applies to Adventure Education Instructors while on duty:
A staff vest or three shirts with the YMCA of the Rockies logo will be issued to each seasonal employee from May to August and December to April. You will be required to wear this uniform while on duty. A neat and clean appearance is required at all times. Must wear nametag and staff shirt. No open toed shoes.
You must submit three references with your application, including their name, phone number and email address.
Two references must be someone who know you professionally (former or current manager, supervisor, teacher, professor, coach, pastor, etc.) and one reference must be a family member.
If you are a rehire and have worked at YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center, Snow Mountain Ranch, or Camp Chief Ouray at any time during the past three years, references are not required.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email email@example.com.
Outdoor Education Instructor - Seasonal - (Room & Board Included!)
Snow Mountain Ranch
About the Organization
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Status: Seasonal