Outdoor Education Instructor - Seasonal
Under the direction of the Outdoor Education Director, Outdoor Education Instructors will teach outdoor education classes, develop curriculum, perform organization tasks, communicate with schools and school leaders, and assist in any projects or tasks that better the Outdoor Education Program. Should you choose to stay on through the summer, we have positions available in Family Programs, Day Camp, and other departments--we also run an Outdoor Education program in autumn!
Essential Functions / Requirements:
- You must be at least 18 years old
- Participate in Outdoor Education training.
- Have experience and enjoy working with children.
- Possess a passion for or an Associate's or Bachelor's degree in Education, Science, Environmental Studies, Biology, or similar area of study.
- Ability to work as a team member and coordinate with other staff in contributing to the goals of the program
- Possess and maintain certification in CPR and Wilderness First Aid.
- Be able to carry up to 40 pounds and hike up to 6 miles on uneven terrain each day.
- Plan, develop, and implement curriculum and activities to build on the current curriculum
- Contribute to a maintained, clean, and organized staff area
- Adhere to all weekly scheduled activities and classes
- Must possess a valid, USA state issued driver's license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles
- All other duties assigned
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
NOTE: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills
- Support the association safety program
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $220/week, with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and an art center
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Resident Office
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- 20% Discount at our General Store, Rustic caf, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
- Discounts at local merchants
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
Drug and Alcohol Policy:
In accordance with our healthy spirit/mind/body mission and federal law, we have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty. We practice random testing for all staff and volunteers. We also test if there's reasonable suspicion someone is using drugs or alcohol.
About the YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
The Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Please call our HR office at 970-586-3341 x1032, or email email@example.com
Job Status: Part Time