Job Title: Program Desk Attendant/Floater Volunteer - EPC/SMR Status: Non-Exempt
Employee Classification: Volunteer Revision Date: January 2021
Reports to: Program Director
EPC Prog Desk Attndnt: The Program Desk Attendant Volunteer provides customer service to guests and members at the Program Desk which includes advising of available activities and programs, registration for pre-scheduled and published activities and accepting payment when appropriate. The Program Desk Attendant Volunteer is responsible for managing a cash drawer and the online sign up system, as well as information sharing about our Program Department, our Association, Rocky Mountain National Park, and Estes Park/Winter Park (depending on your work location). This position will also provide feedback to supervision of demand for various activities. Ancillary duties are to assist in maintaining a clean, tidy and professional environment in public areas and to administer Lost and Found Activity.
EPC Prog Fltr: This position may also include serving as a Program Floater Volunteer and will be responsible for helping in multiple aspects of the Program Department. These include, but are not limited to, leading family programs (including Astronomy programming), recreation programs, youth programs, and museum tours and programs; it also may include helping at the Library, Mini-Golf, Roller Rink, Sweet Memorial, Mountain Center, Craft Shop, Kiva/Gym, Tubing Hill & Ice Rink, Canoe Reservoir, or Swimming Pool. Volunteer Program Floaters will work with the Program Department team to help in a variety of areas as the need of the Program Department and the skills of the Volunteer dictate. (Activities vary by specific location).
Position Available at Snow Mountain Ranch Only
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary experiences for our guests and for each other and we expect constant demonstration of our core values of caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith.
* Communicate with all guests in a mature and respectful manner.
* Assist guests in signing up for activities, such as zip line, climbing wall, guided hikes, archery, etc.
* Able to work with people of all ages.
* Make change and balance cash box.
* Responsible for stocking merchandise and light cleaning of Program Building.
* Supervise guests within the facilities for which you are responsible.
* Maintain a constant vigilance for hazards involving guests, passengers, employees and machinery; take steps to prevent any incidents.
* Maintain and set-up of recreation facilities if used as a meeting space.
* Operate telephone, cleaning equipment, and specialized equipment for each area (training provided).
* Work with Program Department to plan, develop, and implement the assigned programs and activities; may include leading and delivering such programs.
* Share in the responsibility for the safety of guests in their care with the ability to predict and prevent, identify and respond to safety problems.
* Train peers.
* Requires excellent customer interface skills in person and on the telephone and the ability to operate a computer, copier, and point of sale system.
* Must be at least 18 years old.
* Must be fluent in speaking English.
* Must possess current First Aid and CPR certifications.
* Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
* Use a computer and computerized cash register to sell merchandise, run daily reports, balance and maintain accurate accounting.
* Knowledge and cross-promotion of other departments including, but not limited to, the Family Programs, Day Activities, Lodging and Cabins, Horse and Operations, year round recreational activities, group and cooperate coordination, events, YMCA of the Rockies history, and general local information.
* Knowledge of trails system and trail orientation.
* Required to work in all environments including outdoors in potentially cold and snowy weather.
* Clean facilities; able to use a variety of cleaning chemicals.
* Be willing to work as an attendant for recreation facilities or programs including Kiva, mini-golf course, mountain bike rental, program building, snowshoe hikes, climbing wall, etc.
* Lifeguarding certification if wanting to be considered for Swimming Pool (all seasons).
* Knowledge of local fish and reservoir features as well as knowledge of basic fishing, including, but not limited to rod ‘n reel and fly equipment, technique, and water safety if interested in fly shop (Summer only).
* Canoeing certifications from the American Canoeing Association is not required but preferred in summer (Summer only).
* Tubing Hill & Ice Rink requires use of mechanical tools such as Ice Resurfacing Machine and Blade Sharpener for Tubing Hill & Ice Rink, and shovel large amounts of snow, assist fallen passengers, and withstand extreme or harsh weather conditions (Winter only).
* Must possess a valid, USA state issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
* Assist in the success of all programs as needed.
* Requirement & Essential Functions may vary by location.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
* Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
* Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
* All other duties as assigned
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
* The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
* Volunteers will be assigned rooms with windows and a full bathroom. There are common areas with TVs, refrigerators and microwaves. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
* Geronimo Campground is an alternative available for volunteers at Snow Mountain Ranch in the summer months(mid-May to mid-September). Please inquire for more details.
Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week):
Other employee perks and discounts include:
* Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities and activities which include but are not limited to: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, archery, ice skating, disc golf, mini-golf, climbing wall, library, bonfire rings, craft shop and more. For the most current activity guides please click here: Estes Park Center / Snow Mountain Ranch
* Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and/or golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
* Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
* Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Staff Experience Team
* Lodging Discount Nights at either YMCA of the Rockies location, $25 per room per night, based on availability
* Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Discounts at on site General Store/Gift Shop, Rustic Café/Buckboard Grill, and Jackson/Snow Mountain Stables
- Discounts at local merchants
- Shuttles for staff without vehicles based on season and availability for groceries, doctor, trips to town
- Cleaning supplies/equipment, linens and paper products provided/available for use.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.