Programs Volunteer - Winter 2019-2020 (Room & Board Included)
Reports To: Recreation Supervisor & Program Director
Provide an excellent customer service in the Programs Department to include advising visiting guests of activities available, signing them up for pre-scheduled and published activities and accepting payment when appropriate. Keeps supervision aware of demand for various activities. Ancillary duties are to assist in maintaining a clean, tidy and professional environment in public areas and to administer SMR's Lost and Found Activity. Placement might be in various Recreation areas including Kiva, Tubing Hill & Ice Rink, Canoe Reservoir, Mini-golf, Fishing Shop, or Swimming Pool. Requires excellent customer interface skills in person and on the telephone and the ability to operate a computer, copier, and point of sale system.
- 6 weeks minimum in this position
- As an On-Grounds Volunteer, there is a minimum service of at least 24 - 28 hours per week depending on the season. Peak Times - 28 Hours per Week - Saturday before Memorial Day through Saturday after Labor Day; Two Saturdays before Christmas through 1st weekend of April. Off-Peak Times - 24 Hours per Week - 1st weekend of April through Saturday before Memorial Day; Saturday after Labor Day through 2 Saturdays before Christmas
- Ability to fluently read, write and speak English.
- Current Certifications in First Aid and CPR.
- Previous experience working with people in the service, recreation or teaching areas.
- Computer literacy.
- Knowledge and cross-promotion of other departments at Snow Mountain Ranch including, but not limited to, the Family Programs, Day Activities, Lodging and Cabins, Horse and Operations, year round recreational activities, group and cooperate coordination, events, Snow Mountain Ranch history, and local businesses and general ranch and local information.
- Knowledge of trails system and trail orientation.
- Required to work in all environments including outdoors in potentially cold and snowy weather.
- Clean facilities; able to use a variety of cleaning chemicals.
- Be willing to work as an attendant for recreation facilities or programs including Kiva, mini-golf course, mountain bike rental, program building, snowshoe hikes, climbing wall, etc.
- Lift up to 50 lbs.
- Lifeguarding certification if wanting to be considered for Swimming Pool (all seasons).
- Knowledge of local fish and reservoir features as well as knowledge of basic fishing, including, but not limited to rod ‘n reel and fly equipment, technique, and water safety if interested in fly shop (Summer only).
- Canoeing certifications from the American Canoeing Association is not required but preferred in summer (Summer only).
- Tubing Hill & Ice Rink requires use of mechanical tools such as Ice Resurfacing Machine and Blade Sharpener for Tubing Hill & Ice Rink, and shovel large amounts of snow, assist fallen passengers, and withstand extreme or harsh weather conditions (Winter only).
- Maintain a constant vigilance for hazards involving guests, passengers, employees and machinery; take steps to prevent any incidents.
- Maintain and set-up of recreation facilities if used as a meeting space.
- Supervise guests within the facilities for which you are responsible.
- Able to work with people of all ages.
- Operate telephone, climbing wall equipment and cleaning equipment.
- Make change and balance cash box.
- Train peers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Volunteers are held accountable for all duties of this position. This volunteer description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this position. For any position a supervisor may assign other duties from time to time which are required to ensure efficient and timely completion of overall Snow Mountain Ranch goals. Teaming within and across departments is expected.
General YMCA of the Rockies Requirements:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
Two uniform shirts or vest will be provided for you. You need to provide/wear your own comfortable, closed-toe shoes and trousers. Sweatpants or yoga type pants will not be permitted.
As a volunteer there is no compensation. Volunteer perks include:
- Pinewood Lodge: A smaller dorm facility that can house up to 75 staff and is attached to our administration building. This is our 40+ housing, primarily serving our volunteer community. Rooms are doubles and can accommodate a couple. Each room has a full bathroom. There is a TV lounge with refrigerator and microwave. All rooms have a private telephone and internet access.
- Geronimo Campground: A campground with 26 sites ranging from 15-50 Amps. All sites have electric hook ups while others have additional water and/or sewer. Geronimo camp sites are open from mid-May to mid-September depending on the weather.
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, library, and an art center
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- Discounted gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy) and various local restaurants
We have a strict policy against alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
ABOUT THE YMCA of the Rockies:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ and provide volunteer positions for people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
QUESTIONS? Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email email@example.com.
Job Status: Internship,Volunteer