Sous Chef - Year-Round
This position supports the work of the YMCA of the Rockies, Snow Mountain Ranch which operates a mission-based family and group conference and retreat center, serving more than 50,000 annually. The Executive Chef is responsible for the daily management of all kitchen and back of house food service operations at Snow Mountain Ranch; including menu planning, ordering, food preparation, kitchen cleanliness, catering & special events, staff scheduling and guest satisfaction. The Executive Chef is also responsible for compliance with federal, state and county health regulations.
- Have excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Be fluent in written and oral English.
- Maintain a neat, clean, professional appearance and presentation.
- Work holidays, weekends, and morning or evening shifts.
- Able to work eight-hour shifts on concrete floors and lift 40 pounds up to 36 inch high tables
- Have basic computer skills and develop knowledge of property management software.
- Possess a valid, USA state-issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
- Possess stamina to work in the work environment described herein
- Culinary degree preferred, plus minimum two years’ experience in a la carte or buffet dining presentations and volume food or institutional food service operations.
- ServSafe Certification.
- Ensure clean FS facilities and maintain required standards in regards to OSHA, Department of Health, USFDA and YMCA
- Proven record of sound managerial and organizational skills to plan and serve up to 4,000 meals per day during peak seasons
- Order food, supplies and equipment necessary for the food service operation in coordination with the Association Food Service Director.
- Menu planning and development of new and creative menu concepts.
- Operate within developed Food and Labor Budgets.
- Effectively coordinate with the Executive Chef & Food Service Manager to ensure high levels of customer satisfaction and seamless cooperation between front of house and back of house operations.
- Train, develop, supervise and evaluate employees to ensure maximum productivity is attained, morale is at a high level and excellent customer service is delivered. Monitor scheduling and training for Food Service personnel. Set performance and accountability standards.
- Support and contribute to employee training programs.
- Operational knowledge of a wide variety of F.S. equipment, including, but not limited to, computers, dish machine, broiler, steamer, ovens, slicer, tilt skillet, etc.
- All other duties as assigned
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
NOTE: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards
This is a full time, $38,000 - $42,000/yr position based on experience, with employee perks including:
- Health, dental and life insurance
- Participation in the YMCA retirement plan
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, climbing wall, library, and craft shop
- Free Grand Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
We have a strict policy against alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located on the western side of the Rocky Mountain National Park, in a more remote area of Colorado known as the Fraser Valley, near Granby and Winter Park. In the winter, SMR is home to one of the largest Nordic ski areas in the country, with over 100 km of trails on the 5000-acre property. Winters at SMR can last up to eight months, but for winter enthusiasts, there is no place like it, with days and days of powder. In the summertime, SMR is surrounded by back-country forests and trails, with opportunities to get your boots or wheels in the dirt for many hours of fun.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
QUESTIONS? Please call our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4219, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated May 2019
Job Status: Full Time