Job Title: Summer Camp Director, Snow Mountain Ranch Status: Exempt
Employee Classification: Year-Round, Benefited Revision Date: 08/2020
Reports to: Camp Executive
Leadership Level: Team Leader
This position supports the work of the YMCA of the Rockies, Snow Mountain Ranch, which operates a mission-based family and group conference, retreat center, and residential camp, serving more than 50,000 guests annually. The Summer Camp Director is primarily responsible for successful implementation of camp programs for the Traditional Camp programs (7-14 year olds); budgeting, hiring and training staff, scheduling, and hitting goals set forth by the YMCA of the Rockies.
OUR MISSION AND CULTURE:
We firmly believe in our mission of putting Christian principles into practice through programs, staff and facilities in an environment that builds healthy spirit, mind and body for all. We are committed to being welcoming to all people and to making a difference in the lives of our members, guests and staff. We count on our staff to provide extraordinary mission-based experiences for our guests and for each other.
* Ability to successfully plan camp programs from inception to participant satisfaction, including during times of construction and occupancy growth.
* Recruit, hire, train, and coach seasonal staff for a summer resident camp.
* Experience in budgeting; creating and maintaining.
* Assist in the marketing of camp and improvement in the retention of campers over multiple years.
* Ability to cultivate relationships with campers and staff.
* Meet tasks assigned to position in the Camp Chief Ouray Strategic Initiative Plan (SIP).
* Possess a valid, USA state-issued driver’s license, an acceptable driving record, and comply with YMCA driving rules to be approved to operate YMCA vehicles.
* Assist in moving forward the YMCA of the Rockies Diversity Initiative in camp programs.
* Documented experience working with youth of color.
* Possess stamina to work in the work environment described herein.
* Excellent organizational and interpersonal communication skills.
* Minimum of three (3) years of education, training, and/or experience related to organized camping and at least 24 years of age.
* Team Leader certification or ability to achieve certification within 4 years.
* First Aid/CPR/AED for adults and children certified.
* Experience in managing horses, from contracting with vendors (horse and hay) to scheduling the Farrier and vet visits.
* Ability to plan out and envision camp two years in advance.
* Ability to work with other departments within Snow Mountain Ranch and YMCA of the Rockies.
* Be on duty during the summer months including weekends and stay overs.
* During shoulder-seasons, be a resource for other departments as needed.
* Assist in leading post-camp and winter programs.
* Assist with American Camp Association (ACA) accreditation and maintaining accreditation.
* Assist with philanthropic efforts and writing grants for programs.
* Training in Mental Health First Aid and/or Restorative Justice a plus.
* Bi-Lingual, Spanish a plus
* Attend relevant meetings for position.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
* Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
* Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs.
* Possess and demonstrate excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional.
* Support the YMCA of the Rockies safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff.
* Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse community.
* Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards.
* All other duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Housing provided on-site.
* Able to work outdoors in all weather, hiking large distances over varied terrain.
* Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and carry up one (1) flight of steps.
* Short bursts of stooping, kneeling, bending, standing for long periods of time, etc.
* Prolonged periods at a computer and on the phone.
Note: Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job.
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities,
or qualifications associated with the job.
Summer Camp Director Information Sheet, Camp Chief Ouray - YMCA of the Rockies
This sheet contains information that will be relevant to this position.
A. YMCA of the Rockies, Julie Watkins, President/CEO
a. Consists of the Estes Park Center and Snow Mountain Ranch
b. Est. 1907 in Estes Park, CO, 1969 in Granby, CO
B. Camp Chief Ouray (CCO), Est 1908
a. Located at Snow Mountain Ranch, Granby, CO (elevation 8,750 feet)
b. Licensed by Colorado Child Care and American Camp Association Accredited
c. Serve 280 campers per week, this position oversees between 190-210 campers per week plus the seasonal staff associated with them
d. Post Camps: ELK Family Camp, Women’s Adventure, Active Older Adults & Family Camp
e. Other Programs: Fall Weekend, Winter Weekends, Spring Break Trip, WFA/WFR Certification, Volunteer Weekend, First Time Camp Event, Campfire Circle Event
f. In Phase 1 of Capital Plan which includes; 66 new campers per week, new dining hall
g. Minimum goal of 10% of campers on scholarship each summer
h. Utilize Praesidium Know Your Score! For Child Abuse Prevention training
i. 4 Full-time, year-round positions at CCO; Camp Executive, Leadership & Trips Director, Summer Camp Director, Business Manager. Head Cook is full-time for 3.5 months, supports Snow Mountain Ranch in off-season
a. 85-90% come from the Front Range (Boulder to Colorado Springs and surrounding areas)
b. 9% are from other states, >1% are from out of the USA (5 different countries in 2019)
c. Approximately: 86% Caucasian, 6% African-American, 5% Hispanic/Latino, 3% Mixed
d. Specific Organizations we serve: Children’s Hospital Dialysis Unit, Denver Kids, Fairview Elementary School, Longmont STEM School, Impact360, Xplore the World
a. Hire between 100-110 staff per summer including: counselors, Admin, Nurses, trip/leadership, and kitchen staff
b. Majority come from Colorado schools, approximately 8% International
c. Approximately: 90% Caucasian, 3% African-American, 5% Hispanic/Latino, 2% Mixed
E. Diversity, Inclusion and Global Awareness (DIG) Initiative
a. Commitment at all levels of Association to make demographic changes to all aspects of YMCA of the Rockies guests, campers, and staff.
b. The roots of camping are not very diverse, we as a camp are committed to changing.
c. Currently have partnerships with organizations and working on new partnerships to help diversify the camper and staff populations.
a. Grand County has approximately 14,000 year-round residents
b. Winter Park is 20 minutes away, Grand Lake is about 35 minutes away
c. Ski areas close by and entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park 40 minutes away
d. Grocery 10 minutes away, closest Wal-Mart or Target are 1.5 hours away