Summer Day Camp Preschool Counselor Seasonal - (Room & Board Included!)
JOB DESCRIPTION: Summer Day Camp Preschool Counselor - Seasonal - ON GROUNDS
REPORTS TO: Bennett Preschool Director
Bennett Preschool Counselors are responsible for creating high quality programs for small groups of children between the ages of 3 and 5. They are also expected to keep the children safe in an outdoor environment and make sound decisions with the help of their co-counselors. They should be role-models for the children exemplifying the 5 Core Values of YMCA of the Rockies; Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, and Faith.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Enjoy and have enthusiasm for working with children
- Be able to model wholesome behavior
- Be fluent in speaking English
- Able to regularly lift up to 60 pounds up to four feet
- Able to work consistently, follow through on commitments, and put in a strong effort even when tired or when conditions are taxing
- Ability to work with little direct supervision
- Ability to resolve disputes or conflicts
- Ability to come up with activities or a plan of action when conditions change suddenly.
- Have the desire to develop and practice good programming and leadership
- Counselors must currently possess or be willing and able to obtain First-Aid and Adult, Infant, and Child CPR certification (offered on-site)
- Be able to pass criminal background check
- Practices safe, responsible care of children.
- Plans and implements a weekly recreational program for assigned group of children.
- Reviews camper health forms for completeness and for health concerns.
- Communicates the core values and camp rules with campers.
- Carries out positive behavior management of children.
- Understand and follow all emergency procedures and safety guidelines associated with day camp
- Abides by all policies and procedures of the day camp and the YMCA of the Rockies.
- Shares knowledge of surrounding environment with campers and other staff through quality programming.
- Assist in maintaining accurate program records including incident reports, logbook documentation, and daily attendance Participates as needed and assigned for check-in of campers.
- Communicates with campers' parents in a mature, responsible fashion.
- Cares for and demonstrates responsible use of equipment.
- Follows Leave No Trace practices.
- Leads hikes or day camp groups as needed.
- Participates in daily cleaning of program buildings as assigned.
- Regularly lifts up to 60 pounds up to 4 feet.
- Upholds the YMCA of the Rockies' Mission Statement.
- Shares as a member of the total staff of the YMCA of the Rockies in the responsibility of promoting the YMCA character values: Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, and Faith.
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and problem-solving environment at all times
- Ability to work cooperatively with others in a diverse environment
- Ability to work up to 40 hours weekly
Employees are held accountable for all duties of this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or qualifications associated with this job.
NOTE: Based on business needs, you may be required to work in other Departments and/or our other Center.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Must meet acceptable criminal background check standards
- Staff shirts will be provided and will be worn whenever staff are working
- Shorts or pants must not have holes
- Footwear can be sandals but need to have an ankle/heel strap; ie Chacos or Tevas.
- When going horseback riding or hiking, closed-toed shoes are required
- Swim trunks or one-piece swim suits are required for swimming
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $220/week, with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, tennis courts, mini-golf, trails, roller rink, library, and an art center
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Resident Office
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Free passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort)
- 20% Discount at our General Store, Rustic caf, and Jackson Stable horseback rides
- Discounts at local merchants
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
We have a zero tolerance policy for alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
You must submit three references with your application, including their name, phone number and email address.
Two references must be someone who know you professionally (former or current manager, supervisor, teacher, professor, coach, pastor, etc.) and one reference must be a family member.
If you are a rehire and have worked at YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center, Snow Mountain Ranch, or Camp Chief Ouray at any time during the past three years, references are not required.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year-round family resorts and conference centers on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property.
The Estes Park Center is the largest YMCA conference center in the world. At nearly 900 acres in size and serving over 200,000 guests each year, a dedicated team of individuals work to provide guests with a world-renowned experience.
We employ people of all ages, from across the country and the world, who want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Please call our HR office at 970-586-3341 x1032, or email email@example.com
Summer Day Camp Preschool Counselor - Seasonal - (Room & Board Included!)
Estes Park Center
About the Organization
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Status: Seasonal