TREK - Gap Program
What is TREK?
TREK is a working Christian gap year program designed for 18 to 21 year olds seeking personal and spiritual growth while working in a seasonal job at Snow Mountain Ranch. The 2018-2019 TREK program at Snow Mountain Ranch will start August 12, 2019, and runs through May 5, 2020. During this 8 eight-month period participants will work full time at Snow Mountain Ranch-and earn pay, all meals, and lodging, while attending workshops, leading active lives, making friends from around the globe, and participating in group activities. Participants will experience faith development, character development, and greater self-awareness and understanding.
How Does It Work?
Participants will come together in small group meetings that encourage accountability, safe relationships, thoughtful reflection, honest conversation, and prayer, generally once per week. In addition, participants will meet weekly as a large group, guided by the chaplains. Participants are expected to study and reflect on the content of the material, and the Bible. Spiritual disciplines will also be learned and practiced. Retreats and special activities will also be part of their eight-month experience.
What Distinguishes the YMCA of the Rockies TREK program From Other Christian Gap Year Programs?
1) The Cost. Not only is the cost lower than most, you actually have the opportunity to earn the fees back, and put money away in savings, because during your eight-month program you will be working 40 hours per week at Snow Mountain Ranch in a variety of our service based jobs. As a result of your work you will receive room, board, and an hourly wage plus employee perks-like free skiing/snowboarding at many Colorado resorts. The program cost for the 2019-2020 program is $1,250.
Applications Open 10/15/2018
Interviews Begin 01/15/2019
$250 deposit due if accepted into program.
The enrollment deposit is refundable by these dates:
$250 by 4/1/2019
$200 by 5/1/2019
$150 by 6/1/2019
$100 by 7/1/2019
$50 by 8/1/2019
After 8/1/2019, no refund is available.
Contact Ben Black (firstname.lastname@example.org) to cancel and refund.
Final Day to apply is 6/30/2019
Start date is 8/12/2019
$1,000 Program tuition due on 8/12/2019 OR $250 initial tuition payment due 8/12/2019, with $750 deducted from payroll throughout program.
2) The location. TREK participants will work at Snow Mountain Ranch, live with 1-3 roommates in dormitories, with access on property to a pool, gymnasium, horseback riding, and over 100km of amazing hiking/snowshoeing/mountain biking. Please be aware, even if you're working in another department, most of our staff may work up to a few days each week in food service or housekeeping during September/October.
Snow Mountain Ranch (SMR) is located at 9,000 feet above sea level on 5,000 acres, 20 minutes away from Winter Park Resort, and about 30 minutes from Grand Lake and the western entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado. In general, if you are a downhill/alpine/nordic/cross country/back-country skier, snowboarder, or fat biker, you'll be happy at Snow Mountain Ranch, where we have over 100km of nordic skiing, mountain biking, and hiking trails on property. It's also the home of our Sled Dog team-which our TREK staff help manage and mush! It's usually sunny, as we're located on a high, wide plain of rolling hills looking at the Continental Divide. You'll walk a bit to go from building to building (bring warm layers), and are about a 10 minute drive from the nearest town, but that's why our staff loves it! (Once Winter Park Resort opens, we run a daily shuttle to the mountain for our staff.)
What Can Participants Expect to Gain?
The development of a Biblical foundation for life and leadership, the development of a personal foundation for life, the development of a relational foundation for life, and the development of a practical foundation for life. You'll develop a roadmap for your future, based on the values that guide you and skills you'll enhance during your program. Participants will also have gainful employment for eight months, lifelong friendships with people from around the world, and mountain recreation.
GENERAL YMCA OF THE ROCKIES REQUIREMENTS:
- Uphold and reflect the YMCA core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility and Faith in all functions
- Uphold the YMCA of the Rockies Mission, policies, and programs
- Possess excellent customer service skills; for example, friendly, personable, helpful, patient, and professional
- Support the Association safety program. Promote safe work practices and a safe environment for guests, members, and staff
- Promote a cooperative, positive, and flexible atmosphere while working with others in a diverse environment
- May be required to work evenings, weekends, and holidays, depending on the position
- Meet acceptable criminal background check standards
This is a seasonal, hourly (based on 40 hours/week) position, paying $220/week, with employee perks including:
- Room (shared room in our staff dormitory with free wifi and no bills!)
- Board (3 buffet-style meals per day, 7 days per week)
- Other employee perks and discounts, including:
- Access to the YMCA of the Rockies facilities, which include: an indoor pool, basketball gymnasium, fitness classes, hiking/biking/skiing trails, climbing wall, library, and craft shop
- Free Grand Passes for skiing, rock climbing, mountain biking, and golf (dependent on season and resort - limited number available, first come first served basis)
- Free gear rentals for sports and outdoor activities
- Employee programming, including free or discounted staff trips, provided by the Human Resources Office
- Discounted nights at YMCA of the Rockies lodges (with some date restrictions based on season/occupancy)
We have a strict policy against alcohol or drugs on property; in addition, no drug use is tolerated (including marijuana) during your employment with us whether on- or off-duty.
You must submit three references with your application, including their name, phone number and email address.
Two references must be someone who know you professionally (former or current manager, supervisor, teacher, professor, coach, pastor, etc.) and one reference must be a family member.
If you are a rehire and have worked at YMCA of the Rockies Estes Park Center, Snow Mountain Ranch, or Camp Chief Ouray at any time during the past three years, references are not required.
ABOUT THE YMCA OF THE ROCKIES:
The YMCA of the Rockies operates two year round destination family resorts on each side of Rocky Mountain National Park: Estes Park Center located in Estes Park, CO; Snow Mountain Ranch located in Winter Park, CO; and Camp Chief Ouray, a summer resident camp for kids located on the Snow Mountain Ranch property. We hire year round staff, plus hundreds of seasonal staff and college interns every year that want to experience the mountains and support our healthy spirit, mind, and body mission. Join us!
Please contact our HR office at 970-887-2152 ext. 4119, or email email@example.com.
Job Status: Seasonal